Core Theme 2: Sustainable intensification of agriculture
Instrument: ERA-NET Cofund
Full title: Sustainable and Resilient agriculture for food and non-food systems
Start-end date: 2016 - 2019
No more waste in the new bioeconomy
The transition towards a European bioeconomy that utilizes all available biomass has already begun, according to the 15 member countries that started the FACCE ERA-NET Cofund SURPLUS’, an interdisciplinary programme on sustainable food- and non-food systems. The first bioplastic, biochemicals and building materials made from crop waste are now on the market. To support this new economy, SURPLUS started a first Call in 2015 (17 million euros). The consortium selected 14 projects., aimed at the increase of biomass production, new business cases and a sustainable integration of food- and non-food production.
Small-scale bio refining
The projects in the second Call (2017-2021) of this Cofund are aimed at developing small-scale bio refining. Researchers assess opportunities to valorize grass, chicory, barley straw, oat hulls or other crop waste, develop methods to breed the crops in such a way that the whole plant can be used, or develop technologies to extract useful molecules, or to fractionize plant materials. Others undertake economic analysis or life cycle analysis, and in that way help to find sales markets.
Biofuels from marginal lands
Other projects in the second Call are focused on bioenergy production. Bioenergy is a key element of the EU renewable strategy and exists at the interface of policies on agriculture/land use and energy generation. To avoid tension between food and fuel production, the research groups develop techniques for biomass production on marginal land. For example, the researchers from the project MISCOMAR evaluate the land suitability in Polen, Germany and the UK for Miscanthus cultivation, and develop concepts for sustainable integration of Miscanthus on farm and landscape levels.
- Successful kick-off meeting attracted participants from all of Europe
- New programme increases European research collaboration
- 28 projects invited to submit full proposals within the framework of FACCE SURPLUS
- 14 projects selected for funding in FACCE SURPLUS
- Call for proposals on Research in Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture
- Register now: FACCE SURPLUS Kick-off meeting and Biorefining Workshop in Denmark
- FACCE SURPLUS scoping workshop identified four activities
- FACCE SURPLUS Pre-announces Second Call for Proposals
- New FACCE SURPLUS Call on Small Scale Biorefineries
- Report FACCE SURPLUS Mid-term and valorisation meeting
- Eight new projects elected for the FACCE SURPLUS 2nd call
- FACCE SURPLUS End-Term Meeting focusing on valorization
- Pre-Announcement of 3rd FACCE SURPLUS Call for proposals